It’s taken me a long time to finally feel confident with my cooking but on my visit to Barcelona I learnt how to Gut a Squid in conjunction with BonAppetour and Yves the Social Cooker. One of the best things about visiting Barcelona and going abroad is trying out the food on offer in the different places. The opportunity to dine like a local, left me pining for more of the Catalan hospitality I found on evidence during my visit.
If you want to try something a little different on your next visit to Barcelona – why don’t you book up an evening with BonAppetour and try a spanish dish, you’ve never tasted before!
Here’s how if you’d like to have a go yourself at home, let me know how it turns out or if you need more information on the spanish dish.
Instructions on How to Gut a Squid:
I took my squid over to the sink. One bowl was for the parts of the squid ready to cook, another bowl for the parts to throw away. It can be a bit tricky at first but stick with it. The more you do – the easier it gets.
- The first thing I did was to cut off the head. Smoothing the tentacles up into a bunch – because the squid we were using were small – I cut off the head with a pair of scissors.
- Then I felt inside the squid body for the quill. It’s weird – looks like a bit of plastic. The squid version of a skeleton.
- Then you pull out the internal organs – which sounds grosser than it is! and remove the thin layer of filmy membrane and cut off the fins.
- Rinse the squid body in cold water. Inside and out.
- Turn the head inside out so that the squid beak pokes out, then just pop it out.
and check out my post on the experience with:
BonAppetour is an online social platform where a global community of hosts and guests bond over authentic home-cooked food
As a host, you’ll get to share your home-cooked dishes, your passion for cooking and culture with guests from all around the globe. As a guest, you’ll get a taste of home away from home, perhaps learn a recipe or two!
Authentic chilli crab in a cozy Singapore home, seafood paella on a terrace in Barcelona, or even an exquisite Italian feast on board a Tiber River cruise – explore the wonders of the cuisines around the world with BonAppetour.
Become a host or a guest on BonAppetour, and experience the joy of sharing a meal with friends from all walks of life!